Sunday, December 7, 2014

What next?

I feel as though my career aspirations have been narrowed down since the beginning of the semester. I believe I'm much more interested in working in the airline side of the industry rather than the airport management side, at least for the time being. I think the complexity and the opportunities available in the air carrier field are more attractive, and the opportunity to travel is also very appealing to me. Guest speakers that helped to make this clearer included Justin Patrick from ExpressJet, Amy Kienast, and the speakers from Kalitta Air. Each of them pointed out certain elements of the industry, and reinforced the highlights I learned over the summer interning at Republic Airways.

Goals:
1) Get hired in a full-time/management position of some kind at an airline, either regional or mainline.
2) Network extensively within the airline business, using all the tools available to me, including social media, industry events, etc.
3) Travel extensively and attempt to continuously learn about the industry at all times while doing so.
4) Complete my private pilot certificate and fly more often.

3 comments:

  1. The idea of being able to travel as much as airline pilots are able to really was one of the main aspects of this career that really appealed to me also. Its also nice that friends and family get great travel benefits too depending on the airline. Hopefully I land at a carrier that offers plenty of opportunity for my family to travel along with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, often students get hung up on the idea that they have to go into airport management, but there are many opportunities in the airline world. It is also great to have a private pilot's license when in the management side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is a good idea you getting your private certification, it will give you a better understanding of the pilot side of the house. I think it will also help your relation with pilots down the road a little.

    ReplyDelete